Ralph Lauren vs Patrick Hudson TCPA claim
Patrick Hudson filed a class action suit against Ralph Lauren for sending 188 text messages.
Hudson argued that Ralph Lauren send messages
- without express consent,
- sent more messages than he agreed to receive and
- some of the messages did not include a method to opt-out.
The court denied the defendant’s, Ralph Lauren, motion to dismiss the claim.
When you are sending commercial text messages, a lesson from this case is:
- be sure to have clear “express consent” when you are collecting mobile phone number for commercial text messages. Here is an article that may help you
- if your call-to-action page specified that you will send 6 msgs/mo., do not send more messages. Alternatively, you may disclose to send “recurring” messages.
- Be sure to include “Reply STOP to cancel” at the end of every message content.